What people don’t seem to see that the constant churn of smoke in a house can harm the lungs more than when such wood is used for cooking. The reason is: cooking on stove takes a longer time, so the woman goes into the kitchen only once a while to check if the food is done. This reduces her exposure to smoke.
Using biomass for heating results in more exposure as there is a deliberate attempt to minimize ventilation as the family sits around the fire. Kerosene is more of a risk than biomass as burning of biomass produces dense smoke that makes the eyes smart. So people stay away and avoid inhaling the fumes. But sitting right next to a kerosene lamp or lantern causes far less discomfort while exposing one to fine particulate matter and other lung-damaging chemicals.